Law Office Of Nancy H. Boler Dedicated to offering professional and personalized support in the area of divorce and family law.
Family law questions? I can help. Call today.
Local: 832-539-4689 Serving The Houston Metro | Free Initial Consultation

September 2015 Archives

Seek joint custody of your child

People often assume that when two parents are divorcing and there's a child involved that only one parent will be awarded custody. There have been many cases in the United States where the courts have seen one parent as the better option and awarded them sole custody of the child, but joint custody is also an option. Depending on the type of relationship two parents have and how they want to raise their child, they may be able to agree that joint custody is the best option for a number of reasons.

What happens if my former spouse fails to make alimony payments?

Alimony is awarded to spouses when the courts feel as though it is necessary. By using a number of factors, judges determine if alimony will be awarded and how much will be paid each month. Even though in the court order, it may clearly state which spouse has the legal obligation to pay spousal support every month, there is still a chance that they will ignore what the judge says and not make payments.

How paternity is determined formally and voluntarily

Proving paternity can be a big deal to some mothers. Even though she may not particularly like or enjoy the company of the child's father, or want to carry on a relationship with them, they may still realize that it is important for the father to have a presence in their child's life. For that reason, many mothers make the decision to prove paternity and get the father to be a part of his child's life.

How a couple can establish their common law marriage

Marriage is an important family law issue that many couples may discuss at some point in their relationship. Not every couple that has been together for a long time feels the need to make their relationship official by having a big expensive wedding or documenting the relationship with an official marriage. For some couples, having a common law marriage is enough. A common law marriage may be an easier process for some than having a legal marriage or a big wedding. But like a legal marriage, there are a number of steps that need to be performed before a common law marriage will be recognized by the state you live in.

Courts deny woman custody of child following divorce

Child custody cases can be an emotionally trying experience. Parents who have divorced may already have anger toward each other and when they need to find a custody arrangement that works for the both of them, neither party may want to cooperate, which will lead to a judge deciding for them. In any couple, same-sex or opposite-sex, when the two decide to have a child, they may be under the impression that they both had parental rights, but in some cases this is inaccurate.

How do divorce and legal separation differ?

There may come a point in a couple's marriage when they are torn between staying together and getting a divorce. For many, the decision may come easy, but for others, it may take some time to decide if the relationship should continue. Couples who find themselves in this situation often look at their options, which includes legal separation, before making a final decision. With divorce and legal separation being different, before couples can make a decision about their marriage, many look at the difference between the two.

Reasons a parent may challenge paternity

Being a parent is a huge responsibility, and for some, it is a responsibility they are reluctant to take on. Whether it be because they are not ready be a father or because they have doubts that the child is theirs, paternity may need to be proven before a man will assume the role of a father and start to care for his child. When a child is born to parents who are married, it is assumed that the male is the father, but no matter the relationship of the parents, there are circumstances that may cause the mother or father of the child to challenge paternity.


Schedule a Confidential Evaluation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Recent Posts