Family law questions? I can help. Call today.
Serving The Houston Metro | Free Initial Consultation

Seek joint custody of your child

On Behalf of | Sep 25, 2015 | Child Custody

People often assume that when two parents are divorcing and there’s a child involved that only one parent will be awarded custody. There have been many cases in the United States where the courts have seen one parent as the better option and awarded them sole custody of the child, but joint custody is also an option. Depending on the type of relationship two parents have and how they want to raise their child, they may be able to agree that joint custody is the best option for a number of reasons.

Both parents have the responsibility of caring for the child mentally, physically, emotionally and financially. It is already difficult to do when parents are together, but when they are separated or divorced, they may find the task is a bit more difficult. Parents may decide to feud over child custody and one may be awarded sole custody, but they may not know how much the other parents will be involved in the child’s life. This can create a problem for the parent who is the primary caregiver of the child.

Two parents deciding that joint custody is the best option is something that occurs more often than people think that it does. Often times, parents realize the importance of both parents being present in the child’s life and continuing to maintain a healthy relationship with them. One parent may want to have sole custody, but for the sake of the child, they may agree to joint custody.

Anyone currently deciding what type of child custody they would like to seek should consider contacting an attorney at the Law Office of Nancy H. Boler. There are a number of arrangements that parents may be able to agree on when it comes to child custody, but not all are in the best interests of the child. Joint custody is a smart option, and even though parents may not like that they do not have sole custody, it is important to the child that both parents be actively involved in their life.


RSS Feed

FindLaw Network