Family law questions? I can help. Call today.
Serving The Houston Metro | Free Initial Consultation

File a paternity action to establish parentage

On Behalf of | Oct 8, 2015 | Paternity

Not every couple that has a child together can fully trust each other to not get emotional and lash out should the relationship come to an end. When people get angry or upset, they may try to use their children to get back at the other parent. Sometimes, this can involve keeping the child from their father and making it difficult for them to develop a relationship. One way fathers can attempt to avoid this issue is by filing a paternity action.

Fathers who have been shut out by the mothers of their children may want to file a paternity action to prove that they are the father of the child. Until a father has established paternity, he has no way of exercising his parental rights nor does the mother of the child have to agree to let him see his child. However, if a man files a paternity action and takes a DNA test that proves he is the father, he then may be able to begin to establish a relationship with the child and take responsibility for him or her financially, physically, mentally and emotionally

In many cases when a father wants to gain access to his child, he may require the assistance of an attorney in case things escalate. It is likely that once the father proves parentage that he will want to seek joint custody or may be required to pay child support. If this is the case, an attorney can assist during the custody battle and answer any questions you may have about child custody and support laws in your state.

If you have doubts about a child being yours or would like to prove paternity and take responsibility for your child, an attorney at the Law Office of Nancy H. Boler may be able to help. It is ideal for children to have both parents present in their lives and, if proving paternity will allow this to happen, then you should do what you can to help care for your child. If the child is yours, then it would be worth it to move forward with filing a paternity action


RSS Feed

FindLaw Network