Family law questions? I can help. Call today.
Serving The Houston Metro | Free Initial Consultation

A visitation attorney can help you get time with your child

On Behalf of | Oct 23, 2015 | Child Custody

Parents who are not in a relationship or married can often disagree on how to handle issues regarding their child. What one may feel is a smart, fair decision, the other may dispute. When people are angry, there is no way of knowing how they may react or what they will do in retaliation. Since parents can get emotional during a disagreement over their children, it is not uncommon for one or both to take their dispute to court.

If parents choose to let a judge resolve their disputes over child custody, they may be surprised at the outcome. There are a number of options for parents when it comes to child custody and what type they may seek, and things may not go in their favor depending on what the judge finds. Some parents know that there is a small chance that they will be awarded sole or joint custody of their child, so instead of going for one of the two, they may opt for visitation.

As with any child custody case, when a parent is requesting custody or visitation, courts will examine a few factors before making a decision. If you are only requesting to get time with your child and not share custody, there will not be as much to examined, which means a decision could be made fairly quickly about whether or not you will be able to get the time you want with your child. Courts often try to keep the child’s best interests in mind, so even if it is only a small amount of time, they may still choose to rule in your favor.

Parents interested in receiving visitation with their children should consider contacting an attorney. The child shouldn’t suffer because of the parents relationship. Children deserve time with both of their parents, and if you are awarded visitation, you will be able to get that time and build a healthy relationship with your child. Attorney Nancy H. Boler may be able to assist with the process.


RSS Feed

FindLaw Network