Law Office Of Nancy H. Boler Dedicated to offering professional and personalized support in the area of divorce and family law.
Family law questions? I can help. Call today.
Local: 832-539-4689 Serving The Houston Metro | Free Initial Consultation

Posts tagged "child custody"

Women denied custody over children due to criminal history

In an extraordinary case, a judge denied a woman custody over three children fathered by her husband with another woman. The judge cited her past criminal history, specifically the drowning murders of her first three children as evidence of her inability to be an effective parent. This post will review this unusual case.

What stops a parent from changing custody terms in another state?

Parents are unable to do this because the court will dismiss their case before it even gets to the substantive issues. All states, except Massachusetts and Vermont, and the District of Columbia are signatories to the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act. The UCCJEA is a uniform set of laws that harmonizes the jurisdictional rules regarding child custody agreements.

Is child custody mediation a viable alternative for you?

There are two types of mediation: asset division and child custody. Child custody mediation focuses on setting up a visitation and parenting plan for parents who are getting separated. If you and the other parent agree, mediated child custody disputes could be a faster and cheaper alternative.

How can unmarried fathers gain custodial rights?

Mothers gain maternal rights over their children just by giving birth to them. Likewise, if a man is married to the mother when she gives birth, he is presumed to be the father. In that case, paternity is automatically established. But for unmarried fathers, there are a few extra steps. This post will go over those steps and how you can gain visitation rights.

Conservatorship is determined by a child's best interests

Texas law denotes "child custody" as conservatorship. Parents are not "custodians," they are "conservators." But, like most other states, the court retains ultimate authority over the terms of conservatorship over the child. This article will go over the basics of what conservatorship grants a parent and how it affects your ability to raise your child.

Grounds to terminate parental rights, pt. 2

The state can enter into a family and terminate parental rights over children. This is reserved only for the most extreme circumstances and only done when it is in the best interests of the child. The law generally presumes that it is in the best interest of the child to be raised by his or her own parents therefore it is up to the parent's to demonstrate that they lack the ability to raise their children.

State Department tips to prevent child abduction

Child abduction brings to mind images of scary men dressed in black with masks. The reality is that many abductions are perpetrated by people the child knows, like friends or parents. International child abduction by a parent occurs at a sufficient frequency that the State Department issued tips on how to identify and prevent it. This article will go over some of those tips and the steps you can take to reduce the risk.

Grounds to terminate parental rights pt. 1

The idea of the "state" swooping in and taking away a child is a parent's nightmare. The termination of parental rights is the most powerful tool that the government possesses to protect children. It is an extreme solution that is only used in the gravest of circumstances (or in adoption cases).

Can your parental rights be terminated?

While it is possible to have your parental rights terminated, it is not easy for either the state or the other parent to have this done. The law generally presumes that it is in the best interests of the child to have both parents involved in child rearing, and this is why joint custody is usually awarded. However, in some extreme circumstances, the court could terminate your parental rights. Your parental rights can be terminated in any number of different scenarios, but they typically fall into three categories:

  • The parent is abusive.
  • The parent is absent or inactive in raising the child.
  • The parent lacks the capacity to competently raise the child.

What is artificial insemination and how does it work legally?

There are two ways to artificially inseminate a mother. One method, actually referred to as "artificial insemination," involves a doctor taking sperm from either the father or a donor and placing it within the mother. The other method, and sometimes harder to accomplish, is in vitro fertilization. This method is very similar to artificial insemination, except that the doctor will inseminate the eggs outside of the mother. The doctor can use either donor sperm or donor eggs. The doctor then places the eggs into the mother.


Schedule a Confidential Evaluation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Recent Posts