Family law questions? I can help. Call today.
Serving The Houston Metro | Free Initial Consultation

How can you modify a custody order?

On Behalf of | Sep 7, 2021 | Blog, Child Custody

If you’re going through a divorce in Texas, it’s understandable to want everything to go smoothly as possible. However, things can get quite complicated when the divorce process involves your children. Even with a proper custody arrangement, you and your ex-spouse might need to change it over time. Here’s more information about how to modify a custody order.

Talk to the other parent

When you’re thinking about making modifications to a custody order, you may wonder who you should speak to first. In this situation, the most important person to talk to about custody arrangements is your child’s other parent. By doing this, it’s possible to collaborate with your former spouse about future custody arrangements.

Start preparing your arguments

Unfortunately, it’s not always possible for two parents to agree on child custody arrangements. If this is the case, you’ll need to prepare your argument regarding why you want to make custody modifications. It’s also a good idea to have documentation that can support your argument.

Consider alternatives

It’s also a possibility that you and your child’s other parent resolve custody arrangements through arbitration or mediation. When you don’t want to deal with the stress of going to court, arbitration and mediation are two relatively inexpensive ways to resolve custody-related disputes. If neither of these methods lead to satisfactory results, you might need to go to court to modify a custody arrangement.

There are several ways for two adults to modify a custody order. Whether it’s a small or large modification, it’s always best if you and your ex-spouse can work together. If this isn’t going to happen, you might need to take your former spouse to court.


RSS Feed

FindLaw Network