Family law questions? I can help. Call today.
Serving The Houston Metro | Free Initial Consultation

3 tips for changing your child custody order

On Behalf of | Aug 14, 2018 | Uncategorized

Not every issue goes away once you receive your divorce decree. There are plenty of problems and questions that may arise in the weeks, months and years following your divorce. As a father, one of your main, ongoing concerns may be custody, especially if you did not get the amount of custody or visitation you prefer.

It is normal for you to want to see your kids more. You may be able to accomplish this goal by modifying your existing child custody arrangement. Follow these guidelines for a better chance at a successful modification request.

1. Gather and maintain important records

If you think you have information that the judge may have an interest in, it is worth compiling. Some potential examples include the following:

  • The other parent missing a parent-teacher conference
  • Questionable social media posts by the other parent
  • A sudden drop in grades
  • A child expressing fear or claiming he or she is in an unsafe situation

Something as simple as a text message or screenshot may help your case. 

2. Be sure you have the proper grounds

You cannot simply change custody on a whim. There must be sufficient evidence that such a change is helpful and necessary to the well-being of your child. If the other parent is relocating, ignoring the visitation schedule or has a change in income, you may want to pursue a modification. Another reason is, of course, if your child is in danger.

3. Make sure you want to do this

Nothing is automatic when it comes to changing a custody order. Even if your case is valid, there may be judicial prejudices, statutory limitations and arguments that may derail you. The other parent will likely fiercely oppose you, so you should be ready for a battle in court. Make sure you are ready to handle this type of situation. Your lawyer can help you figure out how to approach the situation and prepare for court.


RSS Feed

FindLaw Network