Family law questions? I can help. Call today.
Serving The Houston Metro | Free Initial Consultation

Woman asks for more spousal support and judge denies it

On Behalf of | Nov 3, 2014 | Spousal Support

Spousal support in Texas is a touchy issue, so it comes as no surprise that one man has been given a reprieve from funding his ex-wife’s protesting activities. A woman had asked a judge to grant her more spousal support because she wasn’t quite making it on the amount she was already getting. The reason was because she was so busy protesting at abortion clinics that she couldn’t get a job.

She has a master’s degree in nutrition but refuses to become gainfully employed. After her divorce in 2010 she was given spousal support in the amount of $650. She was living with a boyfriend that she had met while married to her ex-husband. Apparently, her boyfriend was paying her bills for the four years they were together.

The church, at which the two met, told the couple that they didn’t have the church’s approval to continue cohabiting without the benefit of being married.

While the court is not telling her to cease protesting issues important to her, they are not granting her more money to pay the bills she could pay herself if she were employed. The woman asked in July 2014 for $2,019 per month from her ex-husband, who is currently a property manager making $150,000 per year. This is almost three times the amount she was originally granted.

The woman told the judge that her life’s work was to tell people about health and nutrition by volunteering at the Oratory and other Christian centers. She feels that putting a price on another person’s illness is wrong and that is what she would be doing by getting paid to do this work.

She has emails that speak to the fact that she and her daughters protested outside a popular abortion clinic to convince the people coming and going that it is, in her opinion, wrong.

The judge ruled that she can continue to get $650 per month in spousal support, but no more.

If you have an issue with spousal support, you may want to contact a professional who knows the laws of the state of Texas and can guide you through the court system so that you get what is fair and rightfully owed to you.

Source: New York Daily News, “Exclusive: Judge rules woman can continue protesting abortion clinics, but can’t demand more spousal support” Dareh Gregorian, Oct. 29, 2014


RSS Feed

FindLaw Network