Family law questions? I can help. Call today.
Serving The Houston Metro | Free Initial Consultation

Harris County woman sues over visitation rights with daughter

On Behalf of | Apr 11, 2014 | Child Custody

Going through a divorce is hard enough by itself. When it also involves children the resulting disputes regarding custody and visitation rights can seems overwhelming. If you are facing a situation in which you believe the adverse party is not honoring your visitation rights, then you need someone in your corner that can help to level the playing field.

Consider a recent filing in which a Harris County woman filed a lawsuit in Federal Court. In her suit she is alleging that the father of her teenage daughter conspired with others to kidnap the girl from her Texas school and deliver her to a facility in Utah which she refers to as a private prison. In addition to the teenage girl’s father, the plaintiff went on to name multiple other defendants, including a financial organization and the Harris County Office of Human Resources and Risk Management.

According to the papers filed with the Court, the plaintiff says that the father received preferential treatment from the Harris County Family Court system after successfully portraying her as an unfit mother of the couple’s five children. It is her belief that the court wrongfully granted him permission to remove their daughter from her school and take her across state lines in an attempt to thwart the plaintiff’s visitation rights.

Perhaps the worst allegation the plaintiff levied was that the facility in which she believes her daughter is now being held against her will is a place which severely restricts the girl’s personal freedoms and contact with outside members.

Please keep in mind that all of these allegations were made by one party to this case, and it is likely that the adverse party shares a differing perspective. However, if the charges are true, this case should serve as an important lesson to people experiencing problems enforcing their custody and visitation rights. You need someone in your corner to advocate strongly on your behalf.

Source: Courthouse News Service, “Mom Calls Rehab Place a Private Prison” Jonny Bonner, Apr. 07, 2014


RSS Feed

FindLaw Network