Family law questions? I can help. Call today.
Serving The Houston Metro | Free Initial Consultation

Texas mother bribes judge in custody case, sentenced to jail

On Behalf of | Oct 15, 2012 | Child Custody

Some parents would go to any length to ensure custody of their children. It would seem fairly obvious to state that there are several legal methods that a parent can pursue to place them in a more favorable position to be awarded custody. However, some parents seem to throw caution to the wind and will seek any avenue, including illegal activity, to ensure that they are awarded custody of their child. Unfortunately, this often has the reverse effect.

One mother in Texas was convicted for her part in bribing a Collin County district court judge to obtain favor in a pending custody ruling over her husband’s child. The mother and her husband were charged after they were found to have funneled a total of $150,000 into the campaign account of the judge. The Texas mother is set to serve 30 days in jail, serve 10 years probation and pay $10,000.

The judge was forced to resign, the husband is set to stand trial in April 2013 and the judge’s campaign manager is set to stand trial Dec. 2012. Obviously, this is not the way that the mother intended for this to turn out.

When a judge goes to determine the best interest of a child, criminal convictions will weigh into their decision. It would not be difficult for a judge to conclude that the child is in this case is better served in the care of a parent that abides by the law. Therefore, when parents in Texas seek to better their favor in custody proceedings through an illegal manner, they can succeed in securing the opposite and losing custody of their child. It is often best to consult with an experienced family law attorney that will advocate for your interest.

Source: Star Local News, “University Park woman sentenced to 30 days in jail for money laundering, bribing judge,” Bill Conrad, Oct. 13, 2012

  • To learn more about legal approaches to securing the best interest of your child, please visit our Houston child custody page.


RSS Feed

FindLaw Network